St Mary’s Anglican Church was opened on 26th July, 1896 to provide a place of worship for the residents of the West end of Armidale who found it difficult to get to St Peter’s Cathedral.
Throughout the twentieth century various additions were built on the site to accomodate the thriving congregation.
In 2001, the sanctuary was extended to include an apse. The circular stained glass window displays a crown and alpha & omega symbols to remind us of Christ the forever King. The current vestry was added in 2010. Liturgical hangings and contemporary lord’s table frontals were crafted by textile artist Jan Clark, a current member of the congregation.
Today, St Mary’s congregation meets every Sunday at 8:00am to celebrate Holy Communion. Other services, such as Taize, Blessing of the Animals, Lenten and Holy Week services are conducted on a regular basis. In addition to its support of the wider St Peter’s mission partners, St Mary’s support ABM, Anglicare NSW, Anglican Overseas Aid, Red Cross and the Armidale Food Cupboard.
All visitors, newcomers to Armidale, and people looking for a church home, are welcome to worship at St Mary’s.
Tel (02) 6772 2269