St Peter’s Cathedral, Armidale is the mother church of the Anglican Diocese of Armidale in New South Wales, Australia.
Named for St Peter, the cathedral replaced the previous St Peter’s Parish Church at the creation of the diocese. The cathedral was consecrated for worship in 1875 and the foundation stone was laid by James F. Turner, Bishop of Grafton and Armidale.
The cathedral building was designed by the Canadian architect John Horbury Hunt who also designed Booloominbah and Trevenna at the University of New England and cathedrals in the adjoining dioceses of Newcastle and Grafton. It is constructed of “Armidale blue brick”, using clay dug from Saumarez, the property of prominent local F. J. White. Uralla granite was used for the foundations, steps and keystones of the arches.
A pipe organ, installed by George Fincham and Sons in 1878 was replaced with a larger instrument by Alfred Hunter and Son in 1896. The prominent tower was added in 1938.
St Peter’s is located on the corner of Dangar Street and Rusden Street, between Town Hall and Central Park and diagonally opposite the Roman Catholic Church’s cathedral of St Mary and St Joseph.
Office HoursMon - Fri, 9am - 12.30pm
Tel (02) 6772 2269
Fax (02) 6772 0188Email us
Residential Address122 Rusden Street
Postal AddressPO Box 749